Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Banks in kenya work under rubber time

What a lovely place to be stuck.

KCB is the international bank of Kenya. This being said they do not accept travelers cheques, foreign bank cards and the machines only accept visa cards with 4 digit security codes.
I officially ran out of money yesterday on the dhow trip. Now I owe 5500 ksh the amazing thing is people I do not even know have offered me money.

The plan to see steven and have dinner with his family. i have lost one full day to hanging out banking or lack of banking. Did manage to get lunch bought for me from Sam my sailing companion Great guy.

I have a backup plan. I called Sue and she was sooooooo kind and sent me money through western union as I have no confidence the LAN line will be fixed by tomorrow morning. It has been two days and they only managed to get someone to even show up at 345 today. The branch manger Mr Godana has made many calls so I thank him for his assistance. Things here move at a different speed. The only disappointment is the loss of a lovely day waiting for funds.



The reason for this blog is tell you all about the amazing experiences you can have and share. It will also tell you of the pitfalls and backup plans you may want to plan for. Sitting here with a pint of fresh mango juice and a big bottle of water. This is a good day!

Relying on others is hard for me to take. But the overwhelming kindness is wonderful.
The thing about Muslims. In the Koran If a person is hungry you must feed them. I am not a Muslim and they treat me like a friend.

Asante Kenya.

Asante Sue


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lamu Kenya KCB

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sue :-) That should get you something special Sue, way to go :-)Boy you are sooooo lucky "son of mine"
    Don't think of it as a day lost but as a day to find out more about the locals and to learn and be patient :-)
    Have a great tomorrow Jay
    Love Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always count on Sue!

    Enjoy the rest of your travels, and please stop by the house for a glass of wine, as soon as you return.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete