Saturday, February 19, 2011

Did I say small. I meant minuscule. Really

After being taken for 15 thousand shillings at a ticket office. I went to the main terminal. For me it was not the money but the fact they were dishonest. The manager at the ferry was Mr Hussain. He was wonderful. I said the overcharge was not at his office but at a private ticket seller. He was on his phone and within 5 minutes the money was in my hand. He was very apologetic. To be clear the ferry company was not at all dishonest it was the ticket seller that was not at the terminal.

The ship was like the victoria clipper very clean and fast. But the small world part.

As I walk down the gang plank who would be there beside his motorcycle but Jami
from Finland


What a great site. We greeted each other with a laugh and a hug. I last saw him at the mansion backpackers in Mombasa a week before. He made a deal and managed to load the bike on the ferry and the return price is 250 US. It was actually a good deal. Talked about his trip starting in finland and ending in southafrica. We sat outside for the whole 2 hour trip using my backpack to support his bike from falling over all the way to Zanzibar. As we entered the port the water was the color of turquoise and the air was hot and wet.

After getting his cell number. head off to find a place to sleep for the night. Was being followed buy a man as I left the terminal. He wanted to direct me to a hotel. The rate goes up and so the man makes a commission. After about 200 meters I turned and asked him politely to allow me to wander the city on my own. After a short chat he wished me well and off I went. Almost walked in the hotel. It was not in the lonely planet and for that I was happy. Sometime you need to make your own way. It is the pearl guest house. Lovely high ceilings and the rate with breakfast is $15000 tzs per night $10 US. Nice deal. After went off with the hotels owners son to rent a motorcycle for three days. We haggled as they always quote in US $. Then when they convert to shillings it is some creative accounting. Thank you for the iPhone app currency converter. After haggling for only a moment we agreed to 115000 tzs for three days.

I gave them 30 thousand shillings in good faith.
Tomorrow will be a big day. Discovering Zanzibar. Will actually drive and find a beach property to stay for two or three nights and then return to the old city on the 22nd. will try for some diving to.

Look out for the blog to come.


From my room into the courtyard.



Location S 06 09.620
w 039 11.605
Zanzibar.

Location:The ferry post at Dar ES Salaam

No comments:

Post a Comment