Monday, February 7, 2011

I will miss my Kenyan family

Last day with my Kenyan family

This is bitter sweet. In this short time I have gotten to know Ndome family. It was incredible to be so quickly introduced to the Kenyan life. My last night mike and I walked to friends and actually more members of their family back to their home. We were invited in for tea. The home was like a small but quaint cottage.


The cook house was separate. The sun had just set so we went to the house and sat in the dark when the other Agnes came out with a lantern. Their mother was there the two daughters and the one son. This was only a very small part of the family. She had brought up 17 children in this home. My jaw hit the ground. And with no electricity or running water. My dear readers please remember this story


when you complain that the power has ,gone out or the cable is one the fritz. I have learned so much about how people manage to survive with limited funds and in some case prospects. I think pride is a wonderful quaility. Peter and the whole Ndome family have a great deal of it add determination and integrity to. I have eaten like a king, walked in a tropical forrest , had tea in the dark, played santa at pre school, and supervised the milking of a cow three times. ( remember the cow does not like me touching her nipples. Really can you blame her!


The last night was alive with sounds. The monkeys were back, the dogs were after the monkey with no chance in hell, and that one damn rooster that is a practice all night till I get it right kind of bird.. Oh did I say we had chicken for my last meal ;).


Off to the city with mike and minneh

2 comments:

  1. Incredible storytelling Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a lovely family, and sounds like a huge one !! I wondered if they speak english, or do you need someone translating for you?

    Greatfull to see their way of life, to remind myself, life is trully about togetherness and breath of life, thank you for the photo's...

    ReplyDelete